We all know that honey has several health advantages, but you may be surprised to learn that various varieties of honey offer varied benefits. Buckwheat honey, for example, is an amazing superfood that everyone needs to discuss, and we’re about to tell you why.
What is buckwheat honey?
Buckwheat honey is made by bees that collect nectar from buckwheat flowers. The flowers that buckwheat produces are tiny, which means the bees that make buckwheat honey have to work extra hard to collect enough nectar.
Buckwheat honey isn’t as sweet as the traditional honey you may know and use. However, the health benefits outweigh those of traditional honey. It is rich in certain antioxidants, and filled with vitamins; hence, it is considered very healthy and good for consumption.
The colour of Buckwheat honey is also different from traditional honey, and can range in colour from dark red to black. Often, Generally, Buckwheat honey has a reddish tint.
How to use buckwheat honey
There are several uses for Buckwheat honey, including:
- A healing balm for wounds - you can apply the raw honey directly to a wound before covering it with a clean bandage.
- As a general health supplement - Add the raw honey to your favourite beverage, or you can consume it as is by the tablespoon.
- A natural sweetener - Skip the sugar and use honey to sweeten your drinks, food, or baked products.
- For sore throats and colds - Honey is excellent for relieving and helping you recover from colds. Add honey to some warm herbal tea or on its own.
Benefits of buckwheat honey
As you can probably tell from its many uses, Buckwheat honey has many benefits.
- Bursting with antioxidants - Research found that mixing buckwheat honey with black tea significantly increased the level of antioxidants in the body. Antioxidants help the body to fight free radicals, which are harmful to the body and can cause sicknesses.
- Skincare - If you love the look of healthy, glowing skin, then you’ll love this honey benefit. Honey helps to smooth and moisturize the skin, leaving it feeling hydrated and supple.
- Prevent DNA Mutations - Honey has been found to help reverse and prevent some DNA mutations that can cause sickness and cancer.
- Treat cuts and wounds - Honey pulls the moisture out of the wounds to help eliminate bacteria.
- Reduce cholesterol - Studies have shown that buckwheat helps to reduce cholesterol levels in the blood, which can help to lower blood pressure and improve heart health.
- Treat coughs and colds - Research has found that Buckwheat honey is more effective at treating nighttime coughs in children due to respiratory infections than over-the-counter cough medicine.
How to find local buckwheat Honey
If you don’t have Buckwheat honey in your cupboard at home, it is time to stock up on some and enjoy all the great benefits it offers. One Root has pure, raw Buckwheat honey from certified fields in Northern Ontario, Canada. Ready to purchase? Click here!